Thursday, July 23, 2009

It's Not "Car-Pah-CHEE-oh", It's "Car-Pah-CHO"


When I travel to places other than Italy, I still like to occasionally try Italian-themed restaurants. However, I'm getting more and more resistant to the idea. Mostly because the people who work in Italian-themed restaurants tend not to know anything about the language, the cultures, or the cuisines of Italy - which together make the real magic. In fact, the mis-pronounced words and misunderstandings of what they are serving actually pinch harder, since I'm usually looking for a "feeling of Italy" when I go into an Italian restaurant.
I was in a restaurant today at a gorgeous resort in Las Vegas. The folks that worked there were wonderful as far as service, and the food was pretty close to authentic. They even had a little room lit with red light with hanging prosciutto di Parma and giant, beckoning wheels of Parmiggiano Reggiano. The menu boasted that the recipes were from some relative's personal collection. The menu did look like a cross between an authentic Emilia Romagna or Lombardia menu, and the kitchen is clearly trying to duplicate the experience, albight with US domestic ingredients.
I was hopeful. However, when I asked for Carpaccio "Car-PAH-cho", my very kind server had to verify what I had asked for with a mis-pronounced "Car-PAH-chee-oh?" Aargh. Sure - "car-pah-chee-oh". The carpaccio itself was quite good and near authentic, but I could not shut out the background requests from other guests for "min-eh-strohn" and "bru-sheh-tuh". Seriously - the little daggers of the corruption of a beautiful language in an environment where it should be protected from harm almost spoiled my dinner.
Then, at the end of my meal, ordering a shot of espresso, and being asked if I would rather have a cappucino. No, I really do just want a shot of espresso. I resisted the compulsion to explain to him why a person looking for a semi-authentic Italian restaurant experience would turn down a cappucino at 7:30 pm. He did a good job working the espresso machine, though. It was a soothing end to a truly delicious meal.
It's not the fault of the patrons, who had the good taste to wander in to the restaurant in the first place. But I can't let the operators of the establishment off the hook - if they are building a reputation on "Nonna's Recipes", then they should coach their staff a little more thoroughly - don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment